Why is food itself called as Brahmā
हे न जाणावे साधारण ।
अन्न ब्रह्मरूप जाण ।
जे जीवनहेतु कारण ।
विश्वा यया ।। - श्री भावार्थदीपिका (श्री ज्ञानेश्वरी ३:३३)
Saint Dnyaneshvar says, ‘Food itself is Brahmā’ The whole universe originates from, sustains on and merges into Brahma. Similarly, all living beings originate from, survive on and merge into food.
Shrīvishṇu is the Deity who controls the production, digestion and utilisation of food. In the Vishṇu Sahastranām, ‘bhojan (food)’ and ‘bhoktā (the one who consumes it)’ are also included in the thousand Names of Shrivishṇu as ‘भोजनाय नम:’, ‘भोक्ताय नम:’. That is food as well as its consumer are respected as Shrivishṇu . Click here to read more.
- 1. Food itself is Brahma (annam Brahma)
- 2.1 Arrangement of food items in a plate
- 2.2 When should a person dine ?
- 2.3 Before meals
- 2.4 Is it advisable to take an appetiser before meals ?
- 2.5 Is it advisable to have an alcoholic drink as an appetiser before meals ?
- 2.6 Selection of food
- 2.7 How should one serve the courses of food ?
- 2.8 When should one drink water during a meal?
- 2.9 Eating slowly or eating fast
- 2.10 Avoid the following types of food items
- 2.11 Quantity of food
Copyright © 2009 Forum for Hindu Awakening All Rights Reserved.
No part of this website may be reproduced in any form.
No picture or text may be duplicated or copied without the express
written permission of the editor of the Forum for Hindu Awakening.