Why are idols of deities adorned with ornaments during worship?
In Sanatan Hindu Dharma ‘Adorning ornaments’ is considered an important conduct sāṛī, vermilion on the forehead coupled with ornaments like earrings, necklace, bangles etc. is the identity of the traditional form of a Hindu woman. However, with time the importance of this invaluable gift started getting overlooked. From the viewpoint of materialism ‘Ornament’ became the medium of displaying opulence. Due to lack of education of our own Dharma, many actions such as applying a ‘Bindi’ in place of vermilion, not wearing ‘Mangalasūtra’, the symbol of state of married woman etc. were adopted. Wearing ornaments like bracelets, bangles, nose-ring amounted to backwardness. In fact, the ornaments are a medium that helps acquire Divine grace.
Features of ornaments: The pleasing radiance of ornaments on the face and the body dispels the Raja-Tama-dominant particles in the atmosphere. Hence, it is saviour in nature. Due to the radiance emitted by the ornaments the negative energies are also destroyed. So it is destroyer. The ornaments impart Chaitanya, Bliss (Ānand) and Serenity (Shānti) to a person as per his temperament. Ornament functions according to the temperament of a person and is a form of God that teaches him to move towards perfection. Click here to read more
- 1. Importance and underlying science of ornaments
2. Benefits of wearing ornaments
- 2.1 By adorning ornaments the benefit of acupressure is gained
- 2.2 Due to ornaments the chakras are purified and awakened
- 2.3 Due to ornaments one is protected from negative energies
- 2.4 Reduction in the black energy accumulated or stored in the body parts or organs
- 2.5 On Holy festivals due to welcome of Deities with ornaments, their blessings are obtained
- 2.6 Protection from negative energies during Holy festivals and religious rituals
- 2.7 By adorning the ornaments offered to the Devi as Holy sacrament (Prasad), gain of Devi’s Energy (Shakti) and Chaitanya
Copyright © 2009 Forum for Hindu Awakening All Rights Reserved.
No part of this website may be reproduced in any form.
No picture or text may be duplicated or copied without the express
written permission of the editor of the Forum for Hindu Awakening.