Frequently asked questions on Shrāddha ritual
- I would like to know that regarding shraddha as it is only done by offering food to bramhin in temple and giving dakshina, the bramhin does a short prayer nothing is done as per the actual ritual. Then what should be done? Does the prayer reach our pitras, please clarify
- What is the exact significance of child death as per Sanatan dharma? What happens to soul when dies as child. Will it take same journey as "Pitrus"? or any other gati? Is the reply yes? i.e. it is the same as other ancestors?
- Please tell the procedure to be followed when the birthday falls within a period of 1 year of demise of once parents or grand parents or other near ones (whose karmas need to be done)
- Is it necessary/mandatory to perform Ekadrishti Shradha every year after duly performing Gaya Shradha of my Father?
- At what age can Aatma Shraddha be performed?
- A Jivatpitruk is not allowed to perform Pitrutarpan, therefore, I want to know the difference between 'Tarpan' & 'Pitru Tarpan' as both types are done for ancestors’ souls (pitar) and on which ocassions it is performed? My father is alive and I am the eldest son. Can I do the 'Tarpan' for my grandfather and where should I do it?
- As per the article on 'Problems due to ancestor's soul', 'having all female progeny' is a 'problem' in life. Is it valid in today's world when the birth rate of female is lesser than male? If single genger progeny is a problem, then 'all male progeny' should also be mentioned as a problem.
- The priests performing the Shraddha rituals are sometimes illiterate and have poor pronunciation of Sanskrit language. I had a Shraddha ceremony performed at the banks of mother Ganga and was not satisfied by what the priest was chanting. I wonder if the Pitars are pleased and satisfied?
- I use sesame seeds and water for tarpana ritual and offer the oblations into a pot. I have observed that seeds have started to germinate. I have heard that seeds should not germinate. If so, what should I do with the germinated seeds? What is the best way to dispose the seeds and water?
- Please guide wheather shraddha in Gaya is performed once in a life of a person or it can be done any number of times?
Copyright © 2009 Forum for Hindu Awakening All Rights Reserved.
No part of this website may be reproduced in any form.
No picture or text may be duplicated or copied without the express
written permission of the editor of the Forum for Hindu Awakening.